dilluns, 5 d’agost del 2013

Goodbye, Anand. I will miss you!


I met you in Paris. I was living in my small Bermuda triangle with its superb view over the Ecluses des Recollets, on Quay de Valmy. My landlady told me about a young Indian filmmaker who would undoubtedly be interested in meeting someone working for UNESCO. A young Indian filmmaker –I thought-, that must be interesting!

Going up the stairs I finally met by chance my neighbour from downstairs. You, Anand. A first invitation for an informal tea and chat was followed by other occasions, all of them following the same thread: interesting conversation. I was always fascinated by your fresh perspective on things, as well as comforted and amused by your crisp sense of humour, which is in fact a supreme form of intelligence.

Since those conversations, the rest was a beautiful collection of other moments. A birthday celebration on Quay de Valmy with an improvised picnic, which ended in the small hours with you playing tabla; the avant-avant-première of your fascinating “India Inside Out” at your friends’ cave in Paris; a visit to Provins with you and Supryia -and Ulrike!- in a beautiful September morning; meeting your family and discovering Hyderabad in your company…

Once again I learnt about a good friend passing away in a rather improbable manner. I saw some strange comment on Facebook being posted on your wall. I did not check then. The next morning my friend Ramya e-mailed me from Bangkok a link to a press article. Then I learnt about your tragic and avoidable death.

I do not want to dwell on the tragic circumstances of your departure from this world. Nor I want to elaborate on the enormous fragility of our frail existence. I just want to keep it simple and easy, as simple and easy a pleasure was relating to you. I just want to say out loud I was blessed with meeting you and sharing all those moments. And that I will miss you.